Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Peach Orchard

I was actually a little surprised by exactly how directly this video related to Shinto. It is very much a Shinto story, and although I'd seen it before, without understanding the basic elements of Shinto it didn't make much sense.

Now, I know who the white-faced people are who told the boy they would no longer visit his house: kami, the kami, and them not visiting is very bad news. This, in Shinto tradition, is what happens when you upset the kami, who reside sacredly in the strongest forces of the natural world. By cutting down the peach trees, the little boy's family upset those kami, forcing them to leave the orchard, and the boy's home, forever.

I also understand now that in their dance, when they were recreating the orchard for the boy, that they clapped because clapping is thought, in the Shinto tradition, to be a way to communicate with the kami.

Before I saw the video, I never knew that Doll's Day, typically a holiday celebrating girls, was actually to welcome the kami that reside in the blossoming trees. Now the actual dolls that they set out on this day make more sense to me.

All in all I really liked this video, and I'm glad I picked this one to watch. I think after seeing this example, I'll be more prepared to see Shinto references in other Japanese media as well.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said before knowing about Shinto traditions the video is hard to understand. I decided to watch all the video clips first before refreshing my knowledge on Shinto religion. I decided on a clip by just seeing which one was the most interesting without Shinto religion in mind. I watched the same video clip as you the Peach Orchard and after knowing more about Shinto it was easy to make the connections. When I watched it the first time I wasn't aware that the white faced people were the actual dolls that were in the house before the boy followed the girl out of the house. I agree with you that the Boys family upset Kami when they cut down the peach trees. I also saw a connection to Kami in the video clip. Everything is spiritual and there is a connection between humanity, nature and the spirit and the gods. This is why one of the white faced dolls said that they are the spirit of the trees that blossom. 
    When I watched the video clip I did not pick up on the meaning of the clapping when they were allowing the boy to see them blossom one more time. I also didn't know the actual meaning of doll day. 
    I thought it was interesting that they choose the little boy to reveal their message to. When he started to cry and expressed his sadness about the peach trees being cut down . I think this created a type of harmonious relationship between the boy and kami. Emphasis on Shinto ethic is seen throughout the video as well. I agree wit your reasoning on Kami being upset. Because under Shinto ethics the gravest sin is sins against sacred objects and sacred places. This is why the Kami was upset and said they would never return to the boys house again. 
    I really enjoyed the video as well after being able to make the connection  between Shinto religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also watched all of the clips before choosing which one to write my blog about. I landed on the first one (Sunshine Through the Rain. Just as you did, I found the clips to be hard to understand before really looking closely at the notes we took in class/the power point that was posted. After reviewing the notes it was clear to see many of the concepts of the Shinto religion. The ones that stood out to me the most are those of honor and pride. It is stunning to me how much those stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch this clip from the movie, but from your post I get the gist of what it was about and see how it shows Shinto belief. Since Kami is believed to be in every living thing, it makes sense that they would be upset about losing their home and would have to leave. I also believe that reappearing to the child was a way of the Kami teaching him that he should not do something like this in the future to dishonor the Kami or to bring dishonor to himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with you in the first paragraph, about the clip being confusing because i had no idea the traditions of Shinto till i saw the lecture. this definitely created a harmony between the boy and the gods. i actually did not know about dolls day till i read some of the responses about this video. i saw it in the beginning of the clip, and realized that it related to the mysterious girl. also it relates to the tradition of kami.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the video related to shinto a lot. The kami not visiting would be a terrible thing. Also, the kami were “the spirits of the trees, the life of the blossoms.” Cutting them down was a sin against a sacred place; which is one of the Shinto’s ethics. Also i agree that clapping and the ritual is how you communicate with the kami.

    ReplyDelete